Friday, September 24, 2010

Where do you keep your books?

As you know, I have a little bit of a space problem in my room so I don't have a lot of storage options.  Luckily, I also have a little bit of a time problem, which means I don't spend a lot of time reading for pleasure, which means I don't have to store a lot of books!  Win!  Sadly, I really love the way bookshelves filled with old, leatherbound moldy books along with fresh, new, colorful books gives a room so much personality.  I think it is not just the books you fill your shelves with, but the way you arrange them, that leaves a lot of room for personal expression.  Personally, I love the way books look when they're stacked some side-by-side and some on top of each other so this is the way I arranged mine:

There is a mix of decorating, politics, and chemistry books...


These images are from the September issue of Elle Decor.

I imagine that these shelves are filled with history books and books about travel and culture in the Middle East.  I think these colorful people would enjoy browsing through a bazaar...


I believe an architect and gardener lives here...I have no idea why except that the space strikes me as very restful.  Like a garden.


This room is a little messy for my taste, but they say Einstein had a very messy desk so these shelves must be filled with very intellectual books...


I love this room.  I think the books are probably all about the history of England and racehorse lineage.  The occupants undoubtedly dress for breakfast.


What sort of books do you read in the bathtub?  I think lots of Reader's Digest beach novels...

French Elle Decor
This is undoubtedly a collection of books about art and birdwatching.  They keep them by the table so they are readily accessible when disagreements about art history arise during mealtime...
In My House

In my opinion, this book collection is a little too done up and I'm pretty sure the books are props!  This family spends a lot of time looking in the mirror....
Suzanne Kasler


What is in your book collection?

1 comment:

  1. BOOKS. I have a bookcase, but it's pretty boring. I love these ideas! My favorite, I must say, was the bathtub bookcase -- a bit precarious, but it's such a nice idea to display pictures, and books that maybe you don't read every day but make you feel better knowing you still have them and could dig in whenever you want/need. I feel like I'd keep all of my Jane Austen novels there!

    ReplyDelete